December 1, 2017



EU citizens: In Estonia you will be entitled to the same social welfare benefits as the residents of Estonia. You should obtain a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or a substitute certificate from the social service authorities in your own country before arriving in Estonia.

NB! EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance. More information about what is covered by EHIC can be

found here and here.

EU and EEA students studying in Estonia for a degree are not covered by the Estonian social security system, so they can obtain the EHIC only if they are covered by the social security system of their home country. If you cannot get the EHIC for the reasons described above please check if any of the private health insurance companies listed below meets your expectations.
NON-EU students: there is a strict policy in Estonia specifying what your health insurance policy should cover when you apply for a residence permit. The Estonian Migration Board has confirmed that for example the following insurance companies are accepted:
If you prefer to buy some other worldwide health insurance policy please make sure that:
• the policy is valid in Estonia

• any cost relating to your medical treatment as a result of illness or injury during the period of validity of the residence permit will be met by your insurance

If you do not have a valid health insurance policy, it is not guaranteed that all expenses will be covered in case of
unavoidable medical treatment. Travel insurance is not accepted. If you need emergency treatment you can go
to the A&E departments of hospitals or call an ambulance. You can reach an ambulance calling 112 from all over


Please find more information about medical insurance and care here.

The Stockholm Student Health Unit complements standard health and medical services available to residents of Sweden. The Stockholm Student Health Unit works with psychological counselling and health counselling. They can help you deal with any psychological, physical, and social problems that may affect your study situation.
The Stockholm City Council provides other healthcare services, such as emergency treatment, psychiatric care, etc.


As soon as you have paid the tuition fees, you must chooseand pay the French national insurance (sécurité sociale). It comes in various forms:

Registration for the sécurité sociale:
If you have access to the standard form of national insurance called the régime général you need to purchase the special form of national insurance for students called the régime étudiant de sécurité sociale in the following cases:
– students aged from 20 to 28
– students reaching the age of 20 during the 2016/17 academic year
Students who have reached the age of 28 on or before 30 September cannot benefit from the régime étudiant de sécurité sociale .

Sécurité sociale insurance is free for French students aged 16 to 20, who are considered to be automatically insured (ayant droit autonome).

Civil Liability Insurance:
This mandatory insurance, which is personal to each student, must cover the entire academic year. You should check
that you have this document, either through your parents’ insurance company (multi-risk household insurance policy) or with your student mutual insurance company. The mutual insurance companies have information desks at Lyon CNSMD during the enrolment period. The document should confirm that you are covered by the insurance when engaged in activities connected with studies. When you enrol you will need to provide a copy of this document or fill in and sign a declaration that you have this insurance.
Student Mutual Insurance Companies:
You can choose between:
L.M.D.E. – La Mutuelle des Etudiants Correspondence
Address and offices:
19 rue de Marseille – 69007 LYON
Phone +33 (0)969 369 601 (local rates apply)
S.M.E.R.R.A – Société Mutualiste des Etudiants de la Région
Rhône-Alpes Correspondence address: 43, rue Jaboulay –
69349 LYON CEDEX 07
Offices: 38, rue Chevreul – 69007 Lyon
Phone +33 (0)4 72 76 70 76


Once you have been accepted, you will need to submit, in addition to your application for enrollment, proof of health insurance coverage. Please contact the responsible health insurance agency for proper documents. State health insurance agencies provide the following information to all applicants:

• You are insured independently or through your parents’ health insurance policy (this document must also include the ref. no. of your insurance agency and your ref. no.).

• You are exempt from an insurance obligation, e.g. because you are insured through a private agency (all state agencies can issue a statement to this effect).

Please note that any type of health insurance which is not provided by a state agency must be reviewed by a state agency. If your policy provides sufficient coverage for the duration of your studies in Germany, the state agency can issue an exemption from the state coverage obligation.
Students who have the European health insurance card can submit a copy to prove that they are insured. Please inform yourself in good time about the extent and kind of medical services, billing practices and compensation involved should you require medical treatment in Germany.
The BeSI (Counselling Centre for Social & International Affairs) will provide further advice to all social topics, especially insurance and health care.
Please be aware that if you decide to take out private health insurance, you won’t be able to change to a public
health provider later during your studies. Also make sure to take out an insurance that provides sufficient cover. Please find more information here.
You can also find here a comprehensive guide containing in depth information about health insurance in Germany for International students.