November 27, 2017



EU/EEA citizens

As a citizen of the European Union, the European Economic Area or the Swiss Confederation you have the right to stay in Estonia on the basis of a valid travel document or identity card for up to three months.
As the CoPeCo programme requires you to stay longer, you must register your residence at the Population Register Office within three months from the date of entering Estonia (required documents: proof of identity; tenancy contract). Within one month from the acquisition of the right of temporary residence, you must personally contact the Migration Bureau to apply for an identity card that certifies your temporary residence (required documents: application form, proof of identity). EU citizens must pay the state fee of 25 EUR for the identity card (valid for a period of five years).

Residence permit and visa for non-EU/EEA citizens

It is important to remember that you must start applying for a residence permit within the two first weeks of the semester
If you postpone it for too long, you may not receive the permit within 90 days and may have to leave Estonia when the legally permitted period of stay without residence permit is over.

Required documents for a temporary residence permit for study:

  • official invitation for the residence permit (a letter of admission is not valid as an invitation)
    filled-out application form. All application forms are available on the Police and Border Guard website
  • applicant’s motivation letter why s/he wishes to study in Estonia (there is no special format)
  • documents certifying the legal income of the applicant or his/her family members who ensure his/her subsistence
  • health insurance contract
  • letter of guarantee confirming that in case the existing insurance is not valid in Estonia, the student is obliged to purchase a valid health insurance contract from Estonia
  • document certifying the payment of the state fee
  • proof of identity
  • colored photograph size 40×50 mm

Upon application for the residence permit for studying, non-EU citizens must pay the state fee of 64 EUR when applying in Estonia. A residence card issued for studies in Estonia is not valid as a travel document, but you need to have it with you while traveling outside of Estonia.
After receiving the residence permit, all students must register their residence at the Population Register Office within one month of the reception of the permit.
The above-mentioned requirements apply also if you require an extension of the residence permit. If you need to extend your residence permit you have to apply at least 2 months before the expiry of an existing residence permit.

Long-stay (D) visa for non-EU/EEA citizens (staying for one semester)

D-visa can be applied for study purposes and it may be issued for single or multiple entries into Estonia with a period of study up to six months.
D-visa holders do not need to register themselves in the Population Register Office or apply for the residence permit.
D-visa enables to travel in the Schengen area for up to 90 days in a six-month period under the same conditions as the holder of a residence permit.
More information about D-visa can be found on the website of the Estonian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Should you have any problems concerning your rights as a D-visa holder, please contact the Estonian Ministry of Foreign Affairs or Police and Border Guard Board immediately.

Estonian Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Phone: (+372) 6737000(+372) 6737000

Police and Border Guard Board
Phone: (+372) 612 3000(+372) 612 3000


Please consult the webpage of the Swedish Migration Board for details concerning residence permits for studies.

NB! Please note that non-EU students need to have a Swedish residence permit before entering Sweden, therefore please start the application process in due time – already during the semester in Tallinn!


EU/EEA citizens

From 2005 it is no longer necessary for students with an EU passport (including Norway, Switzerland) to get a residence permit. An identity card or a valid passport is required.


For non-EU/EEA students, a temporary residence permit is necessary for a period of more than three months stay. Please contact the French consulate in Sweden to start the application procedure early during the Stockholm semester!
Upon arrival to Lyon you will be required to make an appointment at the

Prefecture du Rhone
Direction de la Reglementation
14 bis quai General Sarrail
69006 Lyon


Certificate of registration

You need to register within one week after arrival in Hamburg and you will receive a Confirmation of Registration. This document is needed for:

  • Visa extensions
  • Opening a bank account
  • Using the city and university libraries
  • Finalizing contracts (e. g. cell subscription)

Contact, more information and appointment schedules:

Hamburg Welcome Center
Alter Wall 11, 20457 Hamburg
Telephone: +49-40-42854-5001

EU/EEA citizens

International students from EU countries enjoy freedom of movement and can enter the country without a visa. Students from EU countries receive an official Certificate of Freedom of Movement.
Students from Bulgaria and Romania need to contact the Hamburg Welcome Center.
Required documents:

  • Passport
  • Certificate of registration and lease (or confirmation by landlord)
  • Admission letter from university, or student ID
  • Proof of sufficient financial means (e. g. declaration of obligation, proof of parental income, own bank statement)

Students from other EU countries automatically receive their certificate after registration with Hamburg Welcome Center.


Students from non-EU countries need to apply for a residence permit for study purposes during the first few weeks after their arrival in Hamburg. The residence permit is valid for up to a maximum of two years and has to be renewed regularly during your period of study.

Required documents:

  • Completed application form
  • Passport
  • Biometric photograph (max. 6 months old)
  • Confirmation of residence or completed registration form
  • Confirmation of health insurance coverage
  • Rental agreement
  • Confirmation of enrolment
  • Proof of financial means

Please find more information about visa regulations on the Federal Foreign Office website!