June 10, 2020

Insurance Estonia

EU citizens: In Estonia you will be entitled to the same social welfare benefits as the residents of Estonia. You should obtain a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or a substitute certificate from the social service authorities in your own country before arriving in Estonia.

NB! EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance!

EU and EEA students studying in Estonia for a degree are not covered by the Estonian social security system, so they can obtain the EHIC only if they are covered by the social security system of their home country. If you cannot get the EHIC please check if any of the private health insurance companies listed below meets your expectations.

NON-EU students: there is a strict policy in Estonia specifying what your health insurance policy should cover when you apply for a residence permit. The Estonian Migration Board has confirmed that for example the following insurance companies are accepted:

If you prefer to buy some other worldwide health insurance policy please make sure that:
• the policy is valid in Estonia
• any cost relating to your medical treatment as a result of illness or injury during the period of validity of the residence permit will be met by your insurance.
If you do not have a valid health insurance policy, it is not guaranteed that all expenses will be covered in case of
unavoidable medical treatment. Travel insurance is not accepted. If you need emergency treatment you can go
to the A&E departments of hospitals or call an ambulance. You can reach an ambulance dialing 112 from all over