June 10, 2020

Immigration Estonia


EU/EEA citizens
As a citizen of the European Union, the European Economic Area or the Swiss Confederation you have the right to stay in Estonia on the basis of a valid travel document or identity card up to three months. As the CoPeCo programme requires you to stay longer, you must register your place of residence at the Population Register Office within three months from the date of entering Estonia (required documents: proof of identity; tenancy contract). Within one month from the acquisition of the right of temporary residence, you need to apply at the Police and Border Guard Office Service Office for an identity card certifying your temporary residence (required documents: application form, proof of identity). EU citizens must pay the state fee of 25 EUR for the identity card (valid for a period of five years).

Non-EU/EEA citizens

Residence permit
More information about the Residence Permit application is found on Police and Border Guard Board website
It is important to apply for the residence permit as soon as possible. If you postpone it for too long, you may not receive the permit in time.

Long-stay (D) visa
D-visa can be applied for study purposes and it may be issued for single or multiple entries into Estonia with a period of study up to 365 days. D-visa holders do not need to register themselves in the Population Register Office or apply for the residence permit. D-visa enables to travel in the Schengen area for up to 90 days in a six-month period under the same conditions as the residence permit.
More information about D-visa can be found on the website of the Estonian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.


All CoPeCo countries have implemented the EU directive on the conditions of entry and residence of third-country nationals for the purposes of research and studies. This allows non-EU students accepted to the CoPeCo programme who are granted a long term visa/residence permit for studies of their home institution country to study in other CoPeCo countries with the same visa/permit without having to apply for the visas/permits of all countries.

If it’s not possible to receive a long term visa of your home institution, you will need to apply for the Estonian D visa – please check the passage above!