December 1, 2017



EU citizens: In Estonia you will be entitled to the same social welfare benefits as the residents of Estonia. You should obtain a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or a substitute certificate from the social service authorities in your own country before arriving in Estonia.

NB! EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance!

EU and EEA students studying in Estonia for a degree are not covered by the Estonian social security system, so they can obtain the EHIC only if they are covered by the social security system of their home country. If you cannot get the EHIC please check if any of the private health insurance companies listed below meets your expectations.
NON-EU students: there is a strict policy in Estonia specifying what your health insurance policy should cover when you apply for a residence permit. The Estonian Migration Board has confirmed that for example the following insurance companies are accepted:
If you prefer to buy some other worldwide health insurance policy please make sure that:
• the policy is valid in Estonia
• any cost relating to your medical treatment as a result of illness or injury during the period of validity of the residence permit will be met by your insurance.
If you do not have a valid health insurance policy, it is not guaranteed that all expenses will be covered in case of
unavoidable medical treatment. Travel insurance is not accepted. If you need emergency treatment you can go
to the A&E departments of hospitals or call an ambulance. You can reach an ambulance dialing 112 from all over


Please find more information about medical insurance and care here.

The Stockholm Student Health Unit complements standard health and medical services available to residents of Sweden. The Stockholm Student Health Unit works with psychological counselling and health counselling. They can help you deal with any psychological, physical, and social problems that may affect your study situation.
The Stockholm City Council provides other healthcare services, such as emergency treatment, psychiatric care, etc.


Basic health insurance is now for free for all students registered in a French higher education institution.

Non-EU/EEA citizens

CNSMD Lyon students can apply through this website after be officially registered (September of Year 1)

You can get a mutual complementary health insurance meant for students (to be paid each month or at the beginning of the academic year).

EU/EEA citizens

European students do not have to complete any process if they have a European Health Insurance Card. They can use it to have access to medical care in France.

Civil Liability Insurance (compulsory for everyone)

This mandatory insurance, which is personal to each student, must cover the entire academic year. The student has to prove that they have subscribed to personal injury and third party liability coverages.  You should check that you have this document, either through your parents’ insurance company (multi-risk household insurance policy) or with your student mutual insurance company.  The document should confirm that you are covered by the insurance when engaged in activities connected with studies. When you enroll you will need to provide a copy of this document. CNSMD Lyon students may get cheap offers for that from the same provider as mutual complementary insurance for students.

Main student Mutual Insurance Companies:

L.M.D.E. – La Mutuelle des Etudiants Correspondence:

S.M.E.R.R.A – Société Mutualiste des Etudiants de la Région:


Once you have been accepted, you will need to submit, in addition to your application for enrollment, proof of health insurance coverage. Please contact the responsible health insurance agency for proper documents. State health insurance agencies provide the following information to all applicants:

• You are insured independently or through your parents’ health insurance policy (this document must also include the ref. no. of your insurance agency and your ref. no.).

• You are exempt from an insurance obligation, e.g. because you are insured through a private agency (all state agencies can issue a statement to this effect).

Please note that any type of health insurance which is not provided by a state agency must be reviewed by a state agency. If your policy provides sufficient coverage for the duration of your studies in Germany, the state agency can issue an exemption from the state coverage obligation.
Students who have the European health insurance card can submit a copy to prove that they are insured. Please inform yourself in good time about the extent and kind of medical services, billing practices and compensation involved should you require medical treatment in Germany.
The BeSI (Counselling Centre for Social & International Affairs) will provide further advice to all social topics, especially insurance and health care.
Please be aware that if you decide to take out private health insurance, you won’t be able to change to a public
health provider later during your studies. Also make sure to take out an insurance that provides sufficient cover. Please find more information here.
You can also find here a comprehensive guide containing in depth information about health insurance in Germany for International students.