June 10, 2020

Immigration Germany

Certificate of registration

You need to register within two weeks after arrival in Hamburg and you will receive a Confirmation of Registration. This document is needed for:

  • Visa extensions
  • Opening a bank account
  • Using the city and university libraries
  • Finalizing contracts (e. g. cell subscription)

Contact, more information and appointment schedules:

Contact, more information and appointment schedules: www.welcome.hamburg.de

Hamburg Welcome Center
Süderstrasse 32b, 20097 Hamburg
Telephone: +49-40-42839-5555
Email: info@welcome.hamburg.de

EU/EEA citizens

International students from EU countries enjoy freedom of movement and can enter the country without a visa. Students from EU countries receive an official Certificate of Freedom of Movement.
Students from Bulgaria and Romania need to contact the Hamburg Welcome Center.
Required documents:

  • Passport
  • Certificate of registration and lease (or confirmation by landlord)
  • Admission letter from university, or student ID
  • Proof of sufficient financial means (e. g. declaration of obligation, proof of parental income, own bank statement)

Students from other EU countries automatically receive their certificate after registration with Hamburg Welcome Center.


Students from non-EU countries need to apply for a residence permit for study purposes during the first few weeks after their arrival in Hamburg. The residence permit is valid for up to a maximum of two years and has to be renewed regularly during your period of study.

Required documents:

  • Completed application form
  • Passport
  • Biometric photograph (max. 6 months old)
  • Confirmation of residence or completed registration form
  • Confirmation of health insurance coverage
  • Rental agreement
  • Confirmation of enrolment
  • Proof of financial means

Please find more information about visa regulations on the Federal Foreign Office: www.auswaertiges-amt.de/en/visa-service!